certain course sections at wittenberg offer supplemental instruction (si).
the si program provides regularly scheduled, out of-class, peer facilitated sessions. students serving as supplemental instructors have taken their si courses previously and successfully completed them. while serving as an si, these students sit in on course lecture and complete course readings again so that they are prepared to support the students in the class.
si sessions are not simply a review of course lecture, but are an interactive, collaborative process of discussing difficult material, preparing for exams, and working through course assignments. national statistics show that students who participate in si perform better, often a full letter grade higher, than their non-participating peers in the same course.
acct 225 –
- supplemental instructor: bryce miller (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- si during covid-19: bryce will be holding virtual si sessions on mondays and wednesdays from 3:45-4:45p.m. please check your email for communication from bryce regarding how to access these sessions.
biol 180 –
- supplemental instructor(s): emma amurgis (email@example.com) and abigail yunker (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- si during covid-19: emma will be holding virtual sessions via email on tuesdays and thursdays from 2:00-3:30p.m. she will send worksheets through moodle announcements, and will answer questions via email during her session times.
- si during covid-19: abigail will be holding virtual sessions via video chat. she will send worksheets through moodle announcements, and hold video sessions for you to attend. please check your email for communication from abigail regarding how to access these sessions.
math 112 –
- supplemental instructor: taylor lasits-brooks (email@example.com)
- si during covid-19: taylor will be holding group video chat sessions during her normally scheduled si session times. please check your class groupme, as she will be reaching out to provide more information. taylor will also be responding to text/email, and is willing to arrange one-on-one phone or video calls as necessary.
phil 107 –
- supplemental instructor: greta andersen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- si during covid-19: greta will be holding virtual si sessions via zoom. please check your email for communication from greta and dr. mchugh regarding how to access these sessions.
what to expect in si?
the structure of an si session varies greatly depending on course content. the goal is for each session to reflect the needs of the class at any given point in the semester, so that students receive optimal support. for example, si sessions for classes that are lecture- and exam-based may focus on note taking skills, reviewing material, and developing strategies for exam preparation; while si sessions for classes that require reading and critical discussion may focus on reading comprehension and developing ideas for discussion or assignment completion. regardless of class structure, all supplemental instructors work closely with faculty to develop lesson plans for each session, while providing enough flexibility for students to ask questions and provide input based on their needs.